Feb 22, 2015

♥ Grand Opening of Walgreens in Ala Moana Area ♥

After much anticipation, the Walgreens across from Ala Moana Shopping Center, and along Keaumoku Street, finally opened today! I went with my family to check out the grand opening festivities. There was a lot less parking than I thought - somehow the parking structure looked so much bigger from the outside...

We went to the store after lunch (around 1 or 2 in the afternoon), and it was packed - there was so much people going in and out of the store! The first thing I did when I got there was make a beeline for the beauty section. The beauty section ("LOOK boutique") is on the second floor of Walgreens.  I was excited to see a lot of make up and skin care brands that I do not usually see in our local drugstores or department stores. There were several skin care and make up brands that I had never seen or heard of before, and there were a couple skin care brands that I had only seen in drugstores in Korea (like Olive Young or Watson).


In particular, I was excited to see that this new Walgreens carried "Vichy" products. Last year when I was in Korea, my friend recommended that I try the Vichy Daily Dark Spot Corrector, which I saw on the shelf in Walgreens today!


The Vichy Daily Dark Spot Corrector is a bit pricey though (about $45.00), so I did not purchase this today. Instead, I picked up 2 Vichy facial mists (Vichy Thermal Spa Water) which were $9.50/each. Luckily, on my way to the check out counter, I found a $5.00 off coupon on Vichy products. Therefore, I ended up paying only $4.95 (including tax) for each Vichy facial mist.

The beauty section in the new Walgreens was nicely organized and designed, and everything looked very modern and trendy. I was also surprised to find a small nail studio in the corner of the beauty section (looks like they offer manicure services?). I am not sure if they also normally offer skin care services, but my Mom said that an employee in the beauty section offered to give her a free facial!

(View of 2nd Floor from Escalator)



After purchasing my items, we headed down to the first floor. The first floor had mostly food items and souvenir/gift items that you would probably find at an ABC store in Waikiki (e.g. beach towels, reef walkers, scented soaps, etc.). Near the entrance on the first floor, there was an area called "Up Market" which sold sushi, frozen yogurt, salads, fresh fruit, and other ready-to-eat food items.


My Dad and I each got a 16 oz. Icee, which was only $0.59 - one of the Grand Opening specials today! ^_^


And my Mom got a small Dole Whip, which was about three or four dollars.


The check out lines were not long (maybe 2 or 3 people in front at the most), and there were an ample number of check out counters to pay at. As a whole the customer service was good (except for the one slightly rude worker in the "Look Boutique" section who seemed a bit grumpy), and there were lots of employees walking around prepared to assist and answer questions.

If you want to read more about the new Walgreens or see more pictures of the store, there is an article about the store on the Pacific Business News website.

I did not purchase too many things at Walgreens today; however, I did find a couple good deals. I will make a second post about my purchases today since this post is getting a bit long and photo heavy =P

No comments:

Post a Comment